Doug brought me some new batteries for my camera so that I could start taking pictures again. It's been a while, and I can tell this by looking at the blog and seeing the number of projects that I've finished and with no posted pictures.
First up, I bring you the Botanical Cardigan from Vogue Summer 2009. (The new batteries make for an extra-strong flash, as evidenced by my closed eyes. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!)
The way the front fits makes anyone seem curvy. It's really flattering.
The back fits nicely too. I had toyed with the idea of not making the little bobble thingy in the centre of the back. However, that makes the back kind of saggy, which is NOT the intent. Turns out the bobble is generally higher than the back of a chair anyway, so the "bump" is not a factor.
I used 4 skeins of Misti Alpaca Cotton & Silk (worsted weight), in colour no. 3814. Actually, I used 3 and a half balls ... Truthfully, I could've/should've done a few more repeats of the border motif. A little extra length there would have been nice, but I was just SO DONE with the pattern. Helpful hints to anyone else who is making this -- don't be skimpy on the border! Also, there is errata on the Vogue Knitting website, so be certain to check that out as well.
At the Knitters & Weavers Fair in Waterloo (on September 12th) I saw the same cardigan with added sleeves. The knitter had used the same three-strand braid around the bottom of the sleeves as well. Nice touch that, but I'm really happy with my sleeveless version. Would I do it again? Oh yeah. The centre part is a blast. The outer ring probably would've been perfect car knitting, had I had a road trip planned at the time.
Another quick little project I've finished recently is this hat, destined for my brother David.
I used two balls of fun fur and one ball of Patons SWS, colour no. 70605(apparently discontinued). Two strands of fun fur for the ribbing (2"), then 2" more of ribbing in the Patons, switch to stockinette and away you go. This bright hat certainly cheered me up when it was in the store, and I am hoping it will cheer up my brother as well.
Over at Delphi Knit & Chat, we have just finished up a gift exchange. My secret pal was in Michigan (hi Kendra!), and she sent me some yummy candy and this lovely scarf. Cables and a wee bit of lace in between, and four sparkly buttons! The buttons instantly made me think of my mother, who had used similar buttons on a sweater for me years and years ago. Smiles!
The Milk Duds are gone, and the Good & Fruity are on the endangered list! Thanks, Kendra, for the package, Sandi for hostessing the exchange, and Carol Ann for hosting the forum!
Finally, a project which had been on my list for ages and ages, and which I am happy to report is finished. Well, almost finished. I worked 20 rows of garter stitch at the beginning of the blanket, so I must add 10 more rows of garter stitch to the end. All in good time. In the meanwhile, I get to claim it is "finished!"
This is a mock-cable pattern, worked in knits and purls only, and which gives the appearance of being cabled. A nice easy pattern, generously sized for a baby blanket, and made in Patons Canadiana, colour no. 138 (also discontinued).
Apparently, my making a store sample out of a colour guarantees it being discontinued.
More finished projects, more photos, more news, all in the upcoming weeks. I can only post five pictures at a time!
Also, David has had his first chemo treatment. It really knocked him for a loop and he is still feeling rather punky, but that is to be expected. For those of you who are keeping him in your thoughts and prayers, thank you.