What's this? Early last month, Carrie came home for the weekend. We celebrated the Canadian Thanksgiving holiday, but not with traditional foods. We had a lovely pork loin, with parsnips, and rutabaga, and squash. Doug and I have been experimenting with different vegetables and we decided to include Carrie in the festivities. She actually quite liked the rutabaga and squash. We still need to find a nicer way to prepare parsnips. If anyone has any ideas, I'm all ears.
Since the weather was so nice, we decided to go for a walk in the woods, which is one of Carrie's favourite things to do when home for the weekend. The weather may have been nice, but I still needed these:
So if I've given up on the vest, what HAVE I been knitting?
We had a class on mobius cowls at the store for November. Complete with the Lucy Neatby mobious cast-on. Let me tell you, THAT cast on is a brain-twister. My first mobius ended up being twisted twice, which just didn't work. So I had to frog that. Undeterred, I started again.
Since I had managed to mess up my first mobious attempt, I HAD to try again. This is a Lucy Neatby design that I found on Ravelry. I used two skeins of Patons Shetland Chunky and a 6.0mm needle. Of course, I looked at the instructions and thought that the cowl would be too small and added 10 extra stitches. Once finished, I find that the smaller number of stitches would have been better. The cowl isn't long enough to wrap twice, and too long to wrap once.
And then, much to my horror and disgrace, I discovered that I had assisted one of our students to create a double twist in HER mobious. In penance, I decided that I should knot yet another mobious just to be sure that I could visually assure the cast on and first row were done correctly.
Interestingly, I cast on 160 stitches for my first mobious, and 170 for this green one. If you tip your head, you can see that there is a huge difference in length between the two scarves. Far more than 20 stitches. Why is that, I wondered.
And then I remembered. The orange cowl has a regular cast off, done as loosely as I could. I didn't have enough yarn to actually finish the seventh row of the pattern, so had to go back to row 6 and then cast off. Didn't have enough to work the stretchy cast-off. The green cowl had plenty of yarn. So I was able to work the requisite stretch cast-off -- knit two stitches, then knit through the front of them, leaving one stitch on the right-hand needle; lather, rinse, repeat. Big difference between the regular and the stretchy cast-off. Lesson learned!