Tuesday, February 22, 2022

February Round Up

 You would not know from this blog, but there HAS been knitting accomplished.  A lot of my knitting is splashed across the store’s Facebook page … which does explain the lack of posts here.  I am sadly remiss at making project pages on Ravelry.  All this means that I am not documenting my projects as well as I would like.  Socks … those are pretty well burned into my brain, until I start experimenting.


“Experimenting?” You ask. Yes.  I have started making socks for my male family members with 68 stitches rather than my bog standard 60.  Doug now gets longer to wear them before the inevitable shrinkage occurs and they become mine.  And so, even though my daughter and her partner claim to be able to share socks interchangeably, there are now his and her socks!


I used a 2.5mm Addi Sock Rocket Squared for these babies.  I am very much in love with the Squared needles.  I did not find my gauge had changed, and the speed bumps kept the stitches nicely on the needles.  These socks have a 2-inch cuff and a heel flap.

 Next I worked on socks for my daughter.  She had commented in passing that there was some excess fabric on the top of the ankle on her previous socks.  “Hmmm,”I thought. “ Let me try a short row heel and see how that works.”

 

These were made with King Cole Footsie, another all acrylic yarn.  This time I cast on 60 stitches and worked only a 1-inch cuff.  I will have proof of concept in the very near future, and if they fit like I hope they do she will be getting short row heels henceforth.

Another recent finish is this lovely hat.  


The yarn is Juniper Moon Farms Beatrix, a merino/angora/nylon bulky wool.  Normally I am not a fan of bulky yarns.  For Beatrix, I could make an exception!  The pattern is Northward Hat from Tin Can Knits.  This was a very quick project, and fun as well. 

What else am I working on?  Well … I wouldn’t be me if there was not a pair of socks somewhere.  


The wool is gift yarn and from an alpaca farm called Twin Pines, near Millbrook.  I have about 4cm left to go until the toe shaping, and it is going to be close.  Very close.  I knew it would be, which is why the machinations if two at a time.  

My step-daughter’s afghan is progressing nicely.  I have three strips completed, and am a quarter of the way through the fourth. 


OK.  Not a quarter of the way, but definite progress.  De ‘Nile isn’t just a river in Egypt!  I am using James C. Brett Rustic Aran with Wool, special ordered by the store and a 5.0mm needle.  I do still love cables.  Nupp, not so much, but these are fairly easily accomplished.

There is more knitting, but I think I have blathered long enough.  Besides, it is quiet and prime knitting light!

No comments: