Monday, May 02, 2005

Catching Up

Well, it's been a while since I've been here. Busy, busy, busy. Doing what? Nothing that I can really put my finger on, but busy none the less.

I quit my job. I'm even past the two-week notice part. Now I'm working "at the pleasure of the parties." Which means, basically, that they can tell me to leave, or I can leave. That's it. I'll be done. I volunteered to hang around to train my replacement. Now let's see if they manage to hire my replacement before my self-imposed deadline. I told them I wanted to be done completely by the end of May. We'll see.

So what brought this on? There have been way too many games being played, by the lawyers and the staff. And it seems that the favorite, convenient target for everyone is yours truly. And I'm not paid nearly enough to be the little sitting duck in the shooting arcade.

The cruise really brought this home. For 10 days, C. and I relaxed in the sun, read good books and relaxed. Coming home, going to work ... it was like a 20-tonne weight slamming down on my back. And I realized that life is too darn short, time is too precious to spend it waiting for the axe to fall. So I quit.

What will I do next? I really don't know. And that should scare me, but it doesn't. I will figure something out.

Over the weekend we attended the Lake Scugog Studio Tour. Saw a fair number of watercolour artists, a woodworker, a potter, a glass artist and ... ta da! A knitter! And she lives not too far from me. Even better. And the best news of all -- the friend who invited us also brought along another friend. Susan knits. That says it all.

No comments: