Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Good things come to those who wait ...

Well, if you count pictures and posts as good things, of course. In my case? They definitely count as good things.

First of all, I simply don't remember where all the time has gone. How can it possibly be two weeks since I last posted? Well, not quite two weeks. But you get the idea. Must be the crazy holiday madness.

I have finished a couple of items. One for the store, and one for home. First, however, you will see the store item. This is a pair of mittens made from Luxury Alpaca Paint, distributed by Diamond Yarns. I love the variegated colours and just couldn't resist making a pair of mitts. This set will fit me, and I have average-sized adult hands. I had to use one and a half balls of yarn--50g. balls at that. I have decided that these mitts will be donated to the Dulaan Project come summer. The question at present is whether they will be felted before donation or not. Anyone have any opinions?














Remember when I said that my new nephew had been born in November? Two weeks early and all that? He is doing better and better. My sister says that he even wakes up all by himself when it's time to eat. Who knew that a preemie baby wouldn't know how to do that? I surely didn't.

In any event, I did knit him a cute little outfit. I know that you've seen photos of the Teddy Bear suit in process. Here it is complete:


I used Luxury Extra-fine Superwash Merino for the outfit, and am hoping (desperately I might add) that little Sammy doesn't have any wool issues. I heeded the Yarn Harlot's opinion that putting synthetic yarns on helpless infants (synthetic yarns could melt and stick to the poor, wee baby in event of a fire and cause dreadful burns) and went for the super-wash merino. It is deliciously soft in the ball, and knit up quite nicely.

I bet you wonder who the model is, since it obviously can't be Sammy. That, my dears, is my childhood baby doll. She's plastic and approximately the size of a three-month old baby. She was played with extensively during my childhood, and then pretty much ignored. The sons didn't exactly play with dolls much, and the daughter wasn't a doll kind of kid. I'm very glad that I held on to her, though. She makes a great model!

Hope everyone had a wonderful holiday and was able to spend oodles of time with loved ones.

PS. I'm contemplating starting up a new web-ring for Ontario-based knitters since the current ring seems to have died a slow death. Anyone else interested?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very nice bear suit! I'd love to join a new Ontario knitters group. Bring it on!

Tee

shirleyknits said...

Sure, I'm interested in joining a new Ontario web-ring. What's involved?

Lovely bear outfit! I'm glad to hear your nephew's doing better.

Anonymous said...

For sure, we need a working Ontario knitters ring. Count me in.
Love the teddy bear suit. It really turned out well. Makes me want another grandchild, since Bub is almost a year old already, and my daughter only likes to dress him in mini man clothes.