Thursday, January 04, 2007

As the dust slowly settles

As the dust slowly settles and we are left with only the memories of the holidays, I would like to take this time to say "Happy New Year" and offer my best wishes to any and all folks who read this blog. May 2007 be filled with many blessings, good health and good things for you and yours.

My holidays began with my son, Jeff, driving his Little Red Car all the way from Kalamazoo to visit us. By himself, too, which was frightening for the mom. But he made it safely, and a day ahead of when I expected him. Good things come to those who wait patiently. But then you knew that.

He checked out my little yarn shop, and pronounced it good. He said he wanted to learn to knit during this trip, so we grabbed some needles and wool and began. He learned to cast on. He learned to knit. He learned to purl. And then he wanted to make something.

The truth is that he had a hat that he wanted to duplicate. It required sock yarn and 2mm needles. And seed stitch. And decreases. Not exactly what one should start for a first project. So he decided on a scarf. And cast on and did several rows of 2x2 ribbing. (We used 6mm needles, which were larger than suggested for this wool, but provided a truly excellent fabric.)

The young man has excellent taste. He selected some Nature Wool from Araucania, colour 11. This wool is really neat. Unlike Paton's, you have the base colour, and then you have gradations of that colour. So dark grey is really shades of dark grey. Not enough to get pooling, mind you, but enough to really give some depth to the colour. All in all, a lovely choice. My fingers had been itching to try that wool ever since it arrived in the shop, so this was the perfect opportunity. I finished it for him.

Definitely worth it. The wool ... the smile ... the dimples ... the hugs.

Another project which you will see soon (very soon!) is my second attempt at The Accursed Sweater. I am thrilled to report that I am now completing the neck ribbing. Soon, ever so soon, it will be DONE! I am so thrilled!

A shop project which you haven't seen yet is this hat. It's a simple 1x1 rib, done with Noro Silk Garden. I really love the way the colours flow into each other. Interestingly enough, when I first looked at Noro I didn't really like it. What was I thinking? It's yummy. Almost good enough to eat! Or in the parlance of my daughter, good enough to marry. (Are 16 year old girls always so dramatic? Was I at that age?) This hat is destined to be donated to the Dulaan Project come summer when I mail my box off to Arizona. Some teen in Mongolia will have a lovely, warm hat next winter.

'Til next time ...

1 comment:

Punkin said...

That warms a mother's heart. What a nice son you have.