Wednesday, March 31, 2021

March 31, 2021

March has come in like a lamb, and true to the adage it is leaving like a lion.  We have had raging high winds for the last couple of days, along with rain and grey skies.  Every once in a while the sun will peek through the clouds and the world lights up.  Moods also lighten with the sunshine.  After the year we have had with Covid-19, quarantines, restrictions, lock-downs and uncertainties, any excuse to lighten our moods seems like a good idea. 

To that end, it seems I was jonesing for a Playstation 4.  My eldest son and his family have one and they have had great fun playing games on-line with my other two children.  The grandsons especially enjoy playing with Uncle and Auntie.   And now they can play with Mama Carol.  I am an inept player at best, so my character frequently needs rescuing and reviving.  The boys are great for telling me what to do, where to go, etc.  They also are enjoying that they get to teach me how to play. 

My eldest grandson has been having school on-line this year.  It has been a challenge but he seems to have risen to the challenge.  His teacher recognizes that his academic skills are above grade level and is recommending him for the district’s gifted program.  

Youngest grandson has been going to the babysitter since his kindergarten program was cancelled.  This worked quite well, until the babysitter’s family were diagnosed with Covid-19.  My son and family all  tested negative, thankfully, but it meant that the younger grandson had to stay home with his parents.  Upon seeing big brother doing schoolwork, he insisted that he also needed schoolwork.  Now the little guy reads, writes in typical for his age scrawl, and handles double-digit arithmetic quite easily.  Wow! My son and his wife have their hands full!

I have been knitting a fair bit.  I am almost half-way through a test knit afghan.  Since it is a test-knit, no photos at this time.  The designer is hoping to release the pattern this fall.

Last post I showed a picture of Flax, by Tin Can Knits.  The photo was not great, so I have taken a couple more.  This first is the completed sweater!

 

I used two balls of ComfortWolle Gala Tweed.  (Please note this link will take you to a wholesale site, and sales are not to the general public.)  This wool is a worsted weight starting as a solid colour and transitioning to a tweedy effect.  I really enjoyed working with this yarn, and am sorry to see it has been discontinued. 

 One design feature of the sweater is the garter stitch panel running down each sleeve —


Such a nice effect, and saves the project from being totally boring.  Since the sweater is worked entirely in the round, it also means you must pay attention to get the garter stitch working properly.  If you forget which row you are on, or are operating on auto-pilot, the mis-step is glaringly obvious and you really do have to go back to correct the error.

I have also finished two pair of socks.  They were sent away already, and I forgot to get photos.  Perhaps when they come to visit I can get a shot. 

 I am continuing to work on my Forest Mosaic shawl, using one skein of Urth Yarns Fingering in colour no. 3025 and Sandnes Garn Baby Lanett white.  I am about halfway through the second diamonds chart, so fairly close to half-way finished. 

There is also a project on needles using Pollock from Juniper Moon Farm and an Elizabeth Lavold pattern.  I am going to save those pictures and updates for next time. 

 And see?  This is twice in one month, and a third post in one quarter!  Progress!

This about all the news I have, so I will say good-bye for now.  Hope your knitting is treating you well and you are staying healthy and safe.


No comments: