Monday, January 22, 2007

New Project Ecstasy

I have ADD. I'm pretty comfortable with this little-known fact, and I have, in fact, learned to live with it pretty well. I have actually learned to become super-focused, so that the ADD doesn't control my life and I become a total flit-about.

This tendency to super-focus has resulted in my being pretty much a one-project-at-a-time knitter. You know--one project from beginning to end, even when it becomes a slog. When you begin to despise the project. But I persevere, because that's what I do.

So I started and finished a(nother) baby set for the Crisis Pregnancy Centre, complete with a pair of baby booties. Baby booties are important because I have joined a Sock Knit-along over at the Delphi forum, Knit & Chat, wherein we are supposed to knit a pair of socks each month of the year, preferably from stash. And baby booties count. For January, I am safe. Whew.

This is one of my usual patterns, from the 1978 McCalls Baby Knits book. A tried and true pattern, with which I rarely have problems. If problems do arise, I can state fairly safely that the problem is an 1D-10-T error. (Computer technical help desk technicians recognize this as the safe way of saying someone is an IDIOT.)

In any event, the baby set is done, complete with ribbons.

Of course, this means that I get to start a New Project. I've had a skein of SeaSilk since I attended Stephanie's birthday party at Lettuce Knit. I've pondered and pondered what to make, especially since I only had one skein. I'd heard that a one-skein shawl pattern existed, and I dutifully obtained same. It didn't really light my fire.

Then I flipped the page on my Pattern-a-Day calendar to January 15. Fishtail Lace. What could be more fitting? Except that I am a one-project-at-a-time gal, and the baby set wasn't finished. So I knit furiously on the baby set, and finished it last night.

At 8:00 pm, I started winding a ball. At 8:30 pm I cast on. At 11:15, it was clearly time to go to bed, but the scarf is so enchanting. I didn't want to put it down. At midnight, I forced myself to bed.

This morning when I opened my eyes, I raced to look at the scarf. What if it wasn't as enchanting as I thought? What if ...?

Not to worry. The scarf is still enchanting. I love the way the colours zig-zag their way up the scarf. I love how airy and light the pattern is. It's only a 6-row repeat, and the even rows are purl every stitch. I love that I have memorized the pattern.

You know what I'm gonna hate? When I have reached the end of the ball of yarn. What then?

Think anyone would notice if I frogged the scarf just so that I could reknit it?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Got home safely tonight. Hope to blog tomorrow and will show how the turquoise nature wool is knitting up. Your scarf is looking fine - fishtail lace is one of my favorites.

Anonymous said...

If the scarf looks this good in the picture, it must be breath-taking up close and personal! When I put my face up to the puter screen, I can hear and smell the sea (or else the fever meds I'm taking for the flu haven't kicked in yet)!