Wednesday, February 27, 2008

And I was having so much fun!

When my daughter and I moved to Canada , I had never really experienced the joys of cross-country skiing. Doug, on the other hand, enjoys the activity immensely. Enough so that when we landed, he almost immediately took me to buy the necessary equipment so that I, too, could enjoy skiing.

For eight years, I have generally enjoyed cross-country skiing. There was the one outing that went pretty sour, and I didn't ski again that season. Went out a couple of times the next year, and now I'm back to enjoying it.

Until this past weekend. As we were kitting up at the Leslie Frost Centre, I noticed something a bit strange with my boots. Upon closer examination, I discovered this: The binding part of the boot is pulling away from the boot part. Dang! And I was enjoying skiing so much! After a fair bit of discussion and examination, we decided to give it a try. Worse case scenario--I'd get to carry my skis and walk out.

The ski was ... well ... interesting is a nice word. I was vertically challenged (in other words, I fell. A lot.), but I'm blaming it on the failing ski boots, not on myself. Just because I hadn't been out for three weeks meant nothing. I tell you, if the boots had been 100% I'm certain that I would've handled the trail perfectly. (If you believe that, did I mention that I have some ocean-front real estate in Nevada for sale? Didn't fall for that one either, did you? Dang!)

So I now have a massive bruise on my leg. But at least I didn't break anything. We are planning to replace the boots at the earliest opportunity so that I can continue having fun this winter.

What I DID accomplish on the two hour ride there and two hours back is this:

These are the Annetrelac Socks from the Holiday 2007 Interweave Knits. I knit them in Regia Strato Colour and a pair of 2.75mm needles. I modified the pattern a bit. The instructions asked for a cast-on of 72 stitches, decreasing down to 48 stitches for the leg portion. This was HUGE! I cast on 60 stitches and then decreased to 48 stitches for the leg. They fit beautifully, so the modification worked.

In other news regarding the Saffron Cables ... my daughter really felt that the afghan was short. Upon further reflection, I decided she was right. Since I had three balls of yarn left over, I have decided that I am going to take back the border and add another pattern repeat. More photos of this later.

No comments: