Saturday, February 02, 2008

The problem is ...

I was reminded today that it was more than time for an update to appear. (Hi Gwen!) I meant to update last week, even took the photos.

But you see, I have a problem. A serious problem.

I am having a difficult time putting down the needles. And unless one puts down the needles, an update just isn't gonna appear.

I can hear you folks now, wondering just what the heck has me so entranced that I cannot stop knitting.

The daughter's afghan(Saffron Cables from Interweave Fall 2006) is within 20 rows of having the last pattern repeat completed. Then all I have left to do is the seed stitch border. I'm hoping to have that finished by next weekend.

The Annetralac sock from the Holiday Interweave Knits is also coming along. (There is no ling available to the Interweave Knits site as the issue is completely sold out. Sorry.) I've just finished turning the heel and shaping the gusset.

The Clapotis in Aracania Atacama is inching along slowly. I used it at the store this week to demonstrate how to drop a stitch and repair the damage.

The real problem is this:

Isn't lace supposed to not be pretty until it has been blocked? No one told this Arabesque shawl that, and I hope they never do. It's so gorgeous! The charts are easy to read, and the Malabrigo is a delight to knit. I work two rows, and then admire my work. Force anyone near the shop to also admire. Then work two more rows. I have completed one and a half repeats of the centre charts. Only 12 and a half to go!

Finally, there is the Great American Aran Afghan. We are doing the afghan as a "knit along" project at the store, beginning on February 26. I decided that I should work a square (at least) ahead of the group so that if there are any problems, I can troubleshoot them before my knitters get there.

I have lusted after this afghan for at least three years. Never quite found the motivation, until now. Starting this square was a wee bit problematic. For whatever reason, I am finding the charts difficult to follow. I don't believe it is a problem with the charts--just the knitter! In any event, here is the beginning of my afghan:

This is Hannah Burns' square found on page 32, and the yarn is Patons Canadiana in Oatmeal. I finally figured out that part of the problem was that the ribbons (chart B) don't both start on row 1. One side does, of course, but the other side is a reverse image. Consequently, it starts on row 17. I added a second column of row numbers to the chart, and suddenly things are progressing nicely.

Tomorrow I am going cross-country skiing at the Leslie Frost Centre. That means two hours of knitting time in the car, followed by two more hours knitting on the way home. I'm looking forward to it!

See you later!

No comments: